Posted: July 24, 2010 by shopfrontcontemporaryarts in under fifteen
Tags: , ,

All excerpts from “Reconsidering Death: A Brief History of the Zombie Phenomenon” provided courtesy of author Dr. Jeremy Tuckwell. All rights reserved.

During the initial burst of hysteria that swept Sydney the Federal and State governments, in co-operation with the major media companies, sought to downplay the risk of the virus. All reports claimed that whatever the nature of the disease, it was extremely difficult to contract and that its symptoms and effects were hazy.

The city was still struggling to deal with the internally-displaced population still flooding eastward, and within emergency camps hastily erected throughout Sydney’s satellite townships tensions were high. In a radical move, the Federal Government withdrew all active combat forces from Afghanistan in order to help enforce curfews imposed upon high-density urban areas. For the first time since the Second World War, armed Australian soldiers patrolled Sydney’s streets. Public transport was limited, schools closed and businesses encouraged employees to work from home. With imports and exports halted and further disruptions to everyday life, the Australian economy rapidly faltered.

The incumbent government called the federal election in January, promising stability and a swift response to the threat.

In April of 2011 after months of concern reports came through from the CSIRO-led task-force that many of the first cases of human zombiism had completely healed.

In eight out of ten subjects all symptoms had disappeared without any medical intervention whatsoever.

There had been no new confirmed cases since the previous year and many scientists surmised that the virus was simply unable to compete against the human immune response for an extended period.

In actuality, the immunological community was completely baffled. Leading specialists were repeatedly unable to even locate the supposed virus within the patient’s blood during the period of zombification. Worse, once the patient had healed it was as if nothing had ever happened. The patient would emerge from the state slowly, with no recollection of what had occurred. Over the next few days, more and more memory would return from the period of their illness.

Without any evidence of a virus some even suggested that the disease could be entirely psychological or psychosomatic.

After months of international scientific scrutiny, the nation’s medical experts were still unable to deduce how the disease was contracted. Hence, for safety reasons, the initial sufferers of the disease were kept in quarantine and in a state of legal indeterminance, despite their apparent recovery.

image credit


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s